May Beer of the Month: Howe Sound Four Way Fruit Ale

It’s a new month, and that means it’s time for a new Beer of the Month.

This month the honour goes to the good folk up at Howe Sound Brewing, for their recent fruit-based concoction, the rather imaginatively named “Four Way Fruit Ale.” I assume it has four fruits in it, but to be honest I’m not sure. Nor do I care, because this is a great beer.

Wow. Do NOT search for “fruit four way” on Google Image Search.

In a land increasingly dominated by giant hop bombs, it takes a bit of courage to put out a mild, subtle fruit ale. This is not a huge fruit beer, folks, this is a lightly sweet, low key fruit sipper that tastes vaguely like warm sunshine on your face after a long hike. Or those Peach Fuzz candies; it’s hard to say which.

Howe Sound didn’t nail this beer, as I’ve certainly had better fruit ales, but their willingness to explore this oft-neglected genre cannot go unnoticed. Given my recent obsession with barrel-aged beers, I guess it’s no surprise that I am curious to see how a bit of time in the oak would alter this one. I’d like to guess for the much, much better, but alas we’ll never know.

Why? Four Way was produced in vanishingly small quantities. In fact, the only places I know where to find it are St Augustine’s, The Alibi Room, and Howe Sound Brewpub itself, and the first two are running low. So get out there and try a fairly rare beer style while you can, folks. That Four Way tap will be a hoppy IPA tomorrow.

/PS Gotta say it: that has to be one of the worst logos I’ve ever seen, guys. Did someone load up Photoshop at 4:45pm on a Friday, grab the first three text effect filters they could find, and call it a day? Sure, you’re not printing bottles or anything, but… wow. Just wow.

May 3rd, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Posted in Beers

7 Responses to 'May Beer of the Month: Howe Sound Four Way Fruit Ale'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'May Beer of the Month: Howe Sound Four Way Fruit Ale'.

1. I have two bottles. You just have to know where to look.

Foaner

3 May 12 at 18:12

2. I will keep my eyes out for the beer, I’m always up for something a little different. I totally agree with the logos, Howe sound seems to put out some of the worst logos out in the business.

Kelly

3 May 12 at 22:45

3. They did so nail this one. Foaner, tell me where?

Dave

3 May 12 at 23:14

4. When I told Howe Sound I was struggling to find it, they said they were starting to bottle it last week and it would be at all the regular places. No sign of it though. Sigh.

Loxy

4 May 12 at 17:31

5. According to Foaner, they have it at the brewpub, but you have to ask. They “keep it in the basement in unlabeled bottles” so, uh, take that for what it’s worth.

On the downtown front, Earls apparently also has it on tap.

I think I might put a few litres of this in my oak barrels just to see what happens, assuming I can find enough bottles.

4 May 12 at 17:34

6. Just wanted to let you know that the 4 way image is different than this-they were quick tap handles we had to put together in a flash for our initial draft accounts. new tap handles coming. The bottles hit the private stores this Thursday and Friday May 5th for distribution It will be available in draft in at a number of locations in Vancouver and Victoria!
    cheers….
    It’s also bottled and available in the brewpub now

Leslie

4 May 12 at 17:43

7. @Leslie – Thanks for the official word! You better believe I’ll be picking some of those bottles up, and not just because the empties are great for homebrew.

4 May 12 at 18:13