Feature Beer: Four Winds Juxtapose IPA

It’s been a while, so it’s time to draw attention to another excellent beer from BC. Up this time is the Juxtapose IPA from Four Winds Brewing. Four Winds shocked a few folks by earning my Beerdies nod for Best New Brewery in 2013, especially considering that rival upstart Brassneck was also in its first year.

However, if you’ve had their beer you know what I’m on about. If you follow this brewery, then you know that each and every new release from Brewmaster Brent Mills is something worth saving your pennies for, and their first bomber “Juxtapose” is no exception.

This is that rarest of treats, a Brettanomyces IPA. While not as extremely Brett-y as some of the rarer offerings from the folks at Anchorage, it’s still a lovely beer with a rich, rewarding complexity. Brent’s efforts at playing around with Brett only betters Four Winds’ case for the title of Best Brewery in BC. Are they there yet? I don’t think so, but they’re definitely second. Not bad for an upstart.

APPEARANCE Muddy orange/yellow with thick, persistent head.
NOSE Quite mild for the style. Hints of Brett/barnyard and some hops aroma, but not at the levels you’d expect.
TASTE A milder Brett IPA. Bit of the funk mixed with tropical fruits and a slightly unbalanced bitterness (towards sweet).
STATS 6.5% ABV / 50 IBU / Brett IPA
SHOULD I BUY IT? Yup. This is a rare example of a rare style from a brewery that deserves your business.
CHECK IN

Brewery Four Winds
From Delta
Name Juxtapose
Style Brettanomyces IPA
SOA Now Bronze
SOA Potential n/a
Drink Now
Could it use barreling? Yes. Yes please.
Availability Most LRS
Cost ~$8-11 per bomber
Similar Beers Anchorage Galaxy, Anchorage/Mikkeller Invasion

Okay, everyone, please listen: make Brett beer and you get one of these. Deal?

April 2nd, 2014 at 2:07 pm

7 Responses to 'Feature Beer: Four Winds Juxtapose IPA'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Feature Beer: Four Winds Juxtapose IPA'.

1. This one is a real treat. I am impressed with Four Winds ability to be a little different, yet with high quality.

Terry

6 Apr 14 at 15:39

2. This should clarify the lack of crazy “brettiness.”

If Four Winds used only Bret Brux Trois like I think they did then this blog post explains exactly why it’s so fruity and not so horsey.

Taylor

7 Apr 14 at 11:33

3. @Taylor – I do not believe that Juxtapose is an all-Brett IPA (Brent, correct me if wrong). They likely used regular old ale yeast (S. cerevisiae) for primary and then a single strain of common Brett strain for secondary. Given the low funk I’d wager something like B. claussenii was used in place of the more aggressive, more famous B. bruxellensis, which works very well in tandem with regular ale yeast.

With that in mind, this beer probably turned out pretty exactly as Four Winds wanted it to. Personally, I’d have preferred something a bit wilder, but that’s my preference.

7 Apr 14 at 11:59

4. Checking out the label on the bottle I’ve got lying around it lists Brett trois and no “brewer’s yeast” or S. cerevisiae. It’s not just about the strain of brett though, when you’ve got high phenol/ester producing strains for Belgian styles brett can consume said phenols/esters to produce the flavours you typically associate with brett.

Taylor

8 Apr 14 at 21:31

5. Just wondering: if Four Winds are second best, who is your top brewery in BC?

Mitch

15 May 14 at 12:17

6. @Mitch – Still giving the title to Driftwood… for now. Four Winds is only getting going, and haven’t even had a full 12 months to release beers yet.

15 May 14 at 17:11

7. Thanks Chuck. I’ve only been in BC for a few months so still getting to know my way around the beer scene. Fat Tug was my favourite until I tried Phaedra. What a beer that is.

Mitch